I love to cook, but admit that my weeknight menus can become stale. It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut, relying on your tried and true prep methods! Before you know it you’re unintentionally having turkey tip Mondays, grilled chicken salad Tuesdays and home-made pizza Wednesdays. Just this happened in our house a few weeks ago. When I told my husband salmon was the dinner plan (which means simple broiled salmon) I came home to an enthusiastic suggestion of “let’s try making salmon burgers!” He’d even done some research and was ready to lead the charge. We’ve made them several times since, modifying the recipe until we got it just right. So, here’s my husband’s salmon burger recipe–super easy for weeknights and perfect for grilling…
What You Need:
- 1 lb salmon
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs and a little more to set aside to lightly coat the burgers (I use 4C whole wheat seasoned)
- 1/2 t dried dill
- 1/4 t fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 t lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to season
Notes: This will make four salmon burgers. I love 4C whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs, they really add to the flavor in this recipe!
What You Do:
1) Remove the skin of the salmon. Using a sharp knife, mince the salmon. It will start to get mushy – this is ok as it will bind the burgers.
2) Finely dice 1/4 cup onion.
3) Juice 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
4) Combine all the ingredients (except extra small portion of breadcrumbs) and mix well. This is a situation where getting in there and mixing with your hands works best! Your mixture should look something like the photo below.
5) Divide the mixture into four even portions and form into equal sized patties.
6) Lightly coat each patty with the extra breadcrumbs.
7) Grill on medium-high for about 4 minutes each side.
And, enjoy! We love eating these on toasted english muffins with a little mustard. I also love them over greens for a healthy and filling salad.