Years ago, I took a moment to read the ingredients on some of the beauty products I use. The lists were long and full of words I couldn’t pronounce. I looked up a few, but quickly abandoned research figuring I was better off not knowing. Why pump your body full of ALL those unpronounceable words when there are other simple options?
Rather than going crazy to strive for a completely chemical free life, I decided to make a few easy beauty regime changes. Now, I have some go to products that have made noticeable differences in my skin and hair. So, here’s what I did:
- Threw out my fancy shampoos and replaced with paraben and sulfate free products. My hair loves Avalon Organics Rosemary Shampoo. Since switching, my hair has become stronger, more hydrated and becomes less greasy. I only need to shampoo twice/week.
- Replaced conditioner with apple cider vinegar (it works, I keep it in a spray bottle in my shower).
- Tossed hair styling products – many are full of alcohol (often at beginning of list, meaning ratio is higher than items lower on list). No wonder my hair was so dry! Hask’s Mint and Almond Oil root spray is all I use.
- Facial toners also often contain alcohol. I’ve fallen in love with Thayer’s Rose Petal and Witch Hazel Toner. Smells amazing and feels so soothing!
- For facial moisturizer, my skin loves Hyaluronic Acid Cream. Hyaluronic acid is anti-aging. I find the cream is super hydrating, makes my skin bright and and is great for sensitive skin. Also, a few times a week, I massage Argan Oil into my face and neck, which is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids.
- Finally, after much research and experimenting, I’ve come up with my own facial cleanser recipe. That’s right, I make my own natural facial cleanser! Here’s how….
What You Need:
- 1/4 cup liquid castile soap like Dr. Bronner’s (all natural cleaning agent)
- 1/4 cup brewed chamomile tea (soothing, eliminates puffiness)
- 3/4 T olive oil (could use other oils such as almond, argan or grapeseed)
- Few drops of vitamin E oil
- If you have essential oils for scent — few drops of your favorite for fragrance
Just mix together and pour into a container. Before each use, be sure to shake first. Since using my natural face wash, I’ve found that I rarely get dry patches or break out. And, my skin tone has been really even.
Now, would all these products and regimes work for everyone? Maybe not, we’re all different! But, I was surprised by how much I fell in love with these new products and the difference they’ve made to my skin and hair. I feel better knowing I’ve eliminated many chemicals, love the improvements I’ve seen and many are much more affordable compared to what I was buying before!